Skip to content


    Building & Zoning

    To schedule an inspection please call the township office 717-632-0320.   Inspections must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.

    Building & Zoning permits take approximately 2 weeks.

    Yes, a $5.00 permit is required.   Yard sales are permitted 2 times a year for 3 consecutive days.

    If you own ½ an acre or more you are permitted to have chickens. Please call the Township to discuss the quantity of chickens permitted as well as other requirements.   A noncommercial keeping of livestock permit is required. Ordinance #01-2014.

    The Township does not require permits for sealing or direct replacement. A zoning permit is required for additions, stone to asphalt and new driveway.


    Zoning and building permits are required for all new and altered structures, equipment, and change of any structure or land use. This includes fences, driveways, decks, sheds, pools, and patios and any mechanical, electrical and plumbing work.

    Load More


    Code Enforcement

    No, the township does not locate property corners or lines.   We suggest trying to find the corner pins with a metal detector or contacting a surveying company.

    Dog licenses are available at the Nature’s Pet Place, North Hanover Walmart Store & Jocelyn’s Puppies. For more information visit: York County Treasurer’s Office.

    Pennsylvania’s Dog Law states that all dogs over 3 months of age must be licensed by January 1 of each year. All dogs must be under control. This means that when your dog is not on your property, it must be under the direct control of you or a handler. The best way to control a dog is with a leash. Remember, dogs are personal property. You are responsible for any damage caused by your dog.

    • State Department of Agriculture 717-787-5085
    • York County Department of Agriculture 717-755-2966
    • U.S. Department of Agriculture 717-783-5222

    The storage of one vehicle is permitted in any yard area as long as no portion is located in public right-of-way, on or above any public sidewalk or easement or within a distance of 5 feet from adjoining property lines. The storage of a second recreational vehicle shall be permitted if the gross lot size is equal or greater than ½ acre.  The second vehicle shall be permitted only in side/rear yard.  Ordinance #01-2014

    The maximum height of grass permitted is 12 inches. Please contact the Code Enforcement Officer with concerns and property address.  We will explain the procedure and start the process to bring a property into compliance.   Ordinance #09-2009

    Snow and ice must be removed from sidewalks within 24 hours after the snow has ceased to fall and/or ice formed.  No person removing snow or ice from a public sidewalk or removing snow or ice from any portion of the property shall deposit such snow or ice in or upon any public street. Ordinance #07-2010


    Load More



    Water analysis kits are available at the Township Office for free.   Instructions are included in the kit.  It is the homeowners’ responsibility to collect the samples and deliver them to the Lab.  The kits will ensure your well water is free of contaminants and safe for consuming.


    West Manheim Township owns and operates public sewer system.   Billing is done by the York Water Company. If you have billing questions please call York Water Company at 800-750-5561.

    York Water Company  If you have billing questions please call York Water Company at 800-750-5561.

    West Manheim Township requires the inspection and pumping of all septic tanks in the Township, once every four (4) years.  Ordinance #04-2010.

    Load More


    Public Works

    The West Manheim Township Police Department handles traffic enforcement.  You can use the link to file a complaint.

    When development occurs, the developer maintains ownership of all the roads within the subdivision until 90% of the homes have been completed.  At that point, the developer requests a final walk through and a punch-list is created.  After the punch-list is complete, the wearing or top coat is applied to road surface and the road is offered to the Township as a public street.  The Township is not responsible to maintain roads that have not been dedicated.

    The Township Public Works Department does not pick up dead animals.

    However, if a deer is found along the road, please contact the PA Game Commission at 814-643-1831 or 814-643-9635.

    The minimum width is 33 feet; however you should contact the Township regarding your specific road as right of way widths do vary within the Township.

    The Township offers curbside collection of brush in the spring and fall.   The Public Works Department also performs curbside leaf collection in the fall.  Visit our website, like us on Facebook or sign up to receive an emailed copy of our newsletter to be notified of the dates for these programs each year.

    Throughout the year, brush and limbs can be disposed of at H & H General Excavating Company located at 660 Old Hanover Road in Spring Grove.

    Penn Waste will also accept tied bundles of limbs.

    Load More


    Trash & Recycling

    Penn Waste allows for one bulk item weekly. Please contact them or visit their website to schedule the pickup and verify it is an acceptable item.

    Allow the paint residue to dry in the can or place kitty litter in it to absorb the leftover paint.  When the can is dry, you can throw the cans out in your regular garbage.

    West Manheim Township has a “single stream” system.   This means that all acceptable recyclables can be placed in the same container. For a full list of recyclable items visit the Penn Waste website.


    Old electronics can be recycled at Penn Township’s recycling center located at 1020 Wilson Avenue Hanover, PA.  The hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8:00am – 4:15pm and Saturday 8:00am – 3:00pm.  They can also be taken to York County Solid Waste Authority the third Saturday of the month between 9:00am- 1:00pm.  York County Solid Waste is located at 2700 Black Bridge Road York, PA 17402.  The following items are acceptable: TV’s, Computers,  Stereos, Microwaves, Fax Machines, VCRs, Printers, Telephones, Remote Controls, etc.

    Grass clipping can go right in your regular garbage for pick up.

    Penn Waste offers the removal of Christmas Trees. Please check our website or Penn Waste’s website for the specified dates.

    Penn Township Police Department located at 20 Wayne Avenue Hanover, PA accepts old prescription drugs in the green and white metal take-back box. Drop off must be done during normal lobby hours Monday-Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm except holidays. The following items are accepted at this drop off location: prescription and over-the-counter solid medications, tablets, capsules, liquid medications, inhalers, creams, patches, ointments, nasal sprays, and pet medications.  Intravenous solutions, injectables, and needles are NOT accepted.  Medicines should be in a sealed container such as original bottle or zip lock bag.  Please remove or black out personal information on medicine bottles as a precaution.

    No, you must contact Penn Waste directly. They will deliver the totes to your residence.

    West Manheim is contracted with Penn Waste for trash removal.  Their phone number is (717) 767-4456 and website:

    Load More


    Tax Collection

    YATB is the appointed tax collector of payroll related taxes for West Manheim Township. This includes the Earned Income Tax (EIT) and Local Service Tax (LST). For more information please visit or call (717) 845-1584.

    Tuesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and Thursday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (Closed for lunch 1:00 to 2:00).  The tax office is closed for holidays and the following: May 22-26 & June 19-23.  Please click for additional hours for deadline.


    The Township Tax Collector collects taxes for three separate entities.   They are South Western School District, York County and West Manheim Township.  The Tax Collector collect the real estate taxes for all three entities and the Township per capita tax.  Delinquent Real Estate taxes are turned over to the York County Tax Claim Bureau at year end.

    Load More



    Magisterial District Judge Jeffrey Sneeringer, 717-632-0618, 20 Wayne Avenue, Hanover, PA.

    The State Senator is Richard Alloway, II.  His phone number at the Hanover Office is 717-632-1153 and email address is  The Hanover Office is located at 118 Carlisle Street Suite 309 Hanover, PA 17331.  Website address:

    The State Representative is Kate A. Klunk. Her phone number at the Hanover Office is (717) 630-8942 and her email is The Hanover Office is located at 118 Carlisle Street Suite 300 Hanover, PA 17331.

    Load More